WSU CAHNRS

Washington State University Extension of

Benton & Franklin Counties

Nutrition & Food Safety

4-H Youth Development

Wanted

Help us find these stink bugs

Preserve Safely

The rules have changed

Event Calendar

Celebrate

100 years of Extension

Grow

Garden help from the experts

Agriculture

Resources you can trust

Washington State University Extension of Benton and Franklin Counties connects area residents to the research and knowledge bases of the state’s land grand research university providing solutions to local problems and stimulating local economies. Our county-based educators work with partners in your communities to provide educational programs and leverage the broad resources of a major university to resolve issues and create a positive future for Benton and Franklin Counties and area residents.

Learn from the Experts

Today’s fast paced society is bustling with a sometimes overwhelming amount of internet articles, blogs and other resources. It seems a simple internet search can teach you how to do just about anything. But tread carefully! Much of this information is not necessarily research based, and in some cases can prove to be costly.

WSU Extension has a large variety of publications that are filled with research based information that you can trust. Check out their online catalog or stop by one of our offices to see what interests you.

Select a topic from the navigation menu or one of our quick links below.

WSU Extension News

The start of a better trend for diabetes

“Eat right and exercise.”

It’s good advice. But millions of us Americans struggle every day to live up to our hopes regarding diet and activity. Some of us are pretty good at one thing (for me, it’s exercise) but not good at the other (starch and sweets make up too much of my diet). It just ain’t easy to both eat right and exercise, and do so every day.

But maybe we have been making some progress on our personal goals regarding diet and activity. It looks like our collective efforts to address obesity — and associated diseases like diabetes — may be starting to ... » More ...

WSU’s Voice of the Vine: Brains to Grapes, Wine in Provence, Inmates as Researchers, and Blackleaf in Grapes

October 2014 From brains to grapes

Three months ago, Berenice Burdet was in Argentina, studying the intricacies of the human brain. Now, she is in central Washington, studying something slightly different: sugar transporter genes in wine grapes.

“Before this I was working with brains and rats. Now, I’m working with berries,” said Burdet, a postdoctoral research associate at the WSU Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center in Prosser. “The physiology, the anatomy — everything is different.”

The transition from neurobiology to viticulture was difficult, but it was something she really wanted to do, Burdet said. In Argentina she visited vineyards and, through her family, became ... » More ...

A better way to shine light in a dark world

Years ago I purchased a headlamp — a small flashlight that straps around your head to light your way. It’s really useful because it leaves both your hands free as you work or walk. I used my headlamp during the dark half of the year to exercise my dog in dark pastures and an undeveloped No Man’s Land on a steep hill near my house.

My headlamp used an old fashioned light bulb and a fairly heavy battery to run it. I used it for years but it finally stopped working, so I recently purchased a new headlamp. Technology has changed, and for the better ... » More ...

WSU’s Green Times: Beetles, bees, beef & bread

October 2014 NEW! sustainable ag online graduate certificate

LynneCarpenterWashington State University will launch an online graduate certificate in sustainable agriculture in the spring.

The nine-credit certificate provides expertise in researching, assessing and improving sustainable agriculture, said Lynne Carpenter-Boggs, the professor directing the program. It is designed for researchers already enrolled in graduate-level agriculture programs and for working professionals such as producers, organic certifying agents and corporate sustainability officers. Read more.

Nature’s pooper scoopers: Can dung beetles aid food safety?

For farmers, especially organic farmers, who are increasingly challenged by food safety guidelines, dung beetles could ... » More ...

Triggering the Ice Age

By Dr. E. Kirsten Peters

From time to time I give public talks on climate change — those large scale changes geologists have been studying since the 1830s. At those talks I’m often asked a basic question about climate that, until now, has stumped scientists. Here’s the background.

In the 1830s a Swiss naturalist named Louis Agassiz started promoting the idea that Europe had once been enveloped in a cold time in which large areas had been covered in glacial ice. He called that interval “the Ice Age.”

Working in this country in later decades, geologists studying glacial debris and soil layers came up ... » More ...

like_us_on_facebook

Print

In 2014, we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Smith-Lever Act, which established the Cooperative Extension Service. Extension engages people, organizations and communities to advance knowledge, economic well-being and quality of life by fostering inquiry, learning, and the application of research.

As part of Extension’s year-long celebration, we invite students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends to share their reflections on how Extension programs, services, and people have enriched their lives.

Share Your Story

Benton & Franklin Counties, , Contact Us

Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office. Some WSU Extension web sites provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. These external sites are not managed by WSU Extension. Furthermore, WSU Extension does not review, control or take responsibility for the content of these sites, nor do these sites implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.
© 2014 Washington State University | Accessibility | Policies | Copyright | Log in