WSU CAHNRS

Washington State University Extension of

Benton & Franklin Counties

Preserve

Learn to preserve your food safely

Event Calendar

Celebrate

100 years of Extension

Grow

Garden help from the experts

Agriculture

Resources you can trust

Washington State University Extension of Benton and Franklin Counties connects area residents to the research and knowledge bases of the state’s land grand research university providing solutions to local problems and stimulating local economies. Our county-based educators work with partners in your communities to provide educational programs and leverage the broad resources of a major university to resolve issues and create a positive future for Benton and Franklin Counties and area residents.

Learn from the Experts

Today’s fast paced society is bustling with a sometimes overwhelming amount of internet articles, blogs and other resources. It seems a simple internet search can teach you how to do just about anything. But tread carefully! Much of this information is not necessarily research based, and in some cases can prove to be costly.

WSU Extension has a large variety of publications that are filled with research based information that you can trust. Check out their online catalog or stop by one of our offices to see what interests you.

Select a topic from the navigation menu or one of our quick links below.

WSU Extension News

WSU’s Voice of the Vine- Vineyard Expansion, New Zealand, Wine Auction

New vineyard expansion supports teaching and trellising When it came time to plant new vines at the expanding WSU teaching vineyard early this summer at WSU TriCities, the TriCities Vineyard Advisory Team and a vineyard crew from Sagemoor Vineyards came to help. The crew planted about 800 Syrah vines and installed new irrigation systems at […]

New vineyard expansion supports teaching and trellising

When it came time to plant new vines at the WSU teaching vineyard early this summer, dozens of people in the wine business arrived at WSU Tri-Cities ready to dig in.

A light fast twice per week

It certainly sounded like a fad to me. A while ago I caught a program on public television about a medical doctor in Great Britain. Dr. Michael Mosley, like millions in both that country and in the U.S., found that in middle age he needed to lose weight and lower his blood sugar and cholesterol levels.  

Have a cup of joe to help your eyes?

My day starts with coffee. I’m too cheap to buy it by the cup from baristas, so I just brew my own Folgers by the pot. I have a cup or two as I settle into work each morning, and another cup – sometimes two – in the early afternoon. That may not be wise for a chronic insomniac like myself, but it’s a lifelong habit that at this point would be quite tough to break.   

WSU’s On Solid Ground—Cinnamon vs. E. coli, New wheat, Berries by the numbers

Preventing foodborne illness, naturally Seeking ways to prevent some of the most serious foodborne illnesses caused by pathogenic bacteria, two Washington State University scientists have found promise in an ancient, but common cooking spice: cinnamon. Recent findings published in Food Control suggest Cinnamomum cassia oil can work effectively as a natural antibacterial agent in the […]

like_us_on_facebook

Print

In 2014, we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Smith-Lever Act, which established the Cooperative Extension Service. Extension engages people, organizations and communities to advance knowledge, economic well-being and quality of life by fostering inquiry, learning, and the application of research.

As part of Extension’s year-long celebration, we invite students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends to share their reflections on how Extension programs, services, and people have enriched their lives.

Share Your Story

Benton & Franklin Counties, , Contact Us

Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office. Some WSU Extension web sites provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. These external sites are not managed by WSU Extension. Furthermore, WSU Extension does not review, control or take responsibility for the content of these sites, nor do these sites implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.
© 2014 Washington State University | Accessibility | Policies | Copyright | Log in