Washington State University’s Columbia County Extension Office and staff connect the people of Columbia County to the research and knowledge base of the state’s land grant research university. This knowledge base provides solutions to local issues and concerns while stimulating the local economy. Our county-based faculty work with partners in the local communities to provide educational programs and leverage the broad resources of a major university to create a positive future for the residents of Columbia County.
Our local programs include Agriculture, Natural Resources, and 4-H Youth & Families. In addition, Washington State University can supply over 2,200 publications, numerous online educational opportunities, and other statewide educational programs and technical assistance from four Research and Extension Centers, 15 Academic Departments and six of WSU’s Academic Colleges.
WSU and fellow land-grant universities, in 2014, are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the federal Smith-Lever Act, which established the Cooperative Extension Service in 1914.
County Extension Office History
1918 to 2014
The Columbia County Extension office was established in 1918 with the first agricultural agent J. Mitchell Lewis. Lewis served Columbia, Garfield and Asotin Counties from June 16, 1918 through December 31, 1919. Lewis then became the agricultural agent for only Columbia County from January 1, 1920 until August 20, 1922. Other agricultural agents (county directors) since then include A.Z. Smith (Sept.1, 1922 to Nov. 1, 1922), Carl Anderson (Aug. 30, 1933 to Nov. 1, 1945), Robert (Bob) Williams (Nov. 1, 1945 to June 6, 1954), Arthur (Art) Sunderland (June 14, 1954 to July 15, 1979), Roland Schirman (Oct. 4 1979 to Nov. 1, 2004), and Paul G. Carter (May 1, 2005 to present). The office was vacant for 11 years from Nov. 1, 1922 to Aug. 30, 1933.
* We have moved the Extension Office from the Dayton Post Office. We are now located on Main Street in Dayton about 2 blocks west of the stoplight.
137 E Main St, Dayton WA 99328 We will still have the same phone number, 509-382-4741.