Farming in San Juan County
Agricultural Organizations in San Juan County
Farming West of the Cascades
Publications by the WSU Small Farms Team
Marketing Ag Products
Your go-to site for all things ag in San Juan County! Visit IslandGrown.net for a guide to local farm products, for links to ag-related organizations and farmers markets, for maps of the islands with farm locations, for farmer forums and more!
Ag Business Planning
Business Planning Resource List
Writing a Business Plan
Funding Your Farm Business
Grants for Farmers
Wheat Varieties for Western Washington
PowerPoint presentation by Kevin Murphy and Stephen Jones San Juan County grain production workshop, September 2009
Livestock and Poultry Production
- WSU Poultry Testing for Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) Sampling Poultry pdf
- WSU Extension Veterinarian Medicine homepage
- Central Washington Round-Up WSU Extension’s Central Washington Animal Agriculture Newsletter
- Soil Testing: A Guide for Farms with Diverse Vegetable Crops
Soil analysis can guide farmers and gardeners in soil management decisions. Soil sampling allows the grower to track and evaluate practices, such as soil amendment and cover cropping. This fact sheet presents a comprehensive and affordable protocol for annual soil-testing for farms with diverse vegetable crops, including when, where, and how to sample and how to use sample results to improve farm management.
Statistics and Surveys
- RC Producer Survey Summary (2006)
- San Juan Island Farmer’s Market Survey’s (2004, 2012, 2014)
- ‘Preferences for Buying Local Farm Products‘ (2000)
- USDA Ag Statistics Service
- The Cottage Food Application Packet Adobe PDF: CottageFoodApplicationPacket081312.pdf
Stay in touch!
Join the San Juan County Farm and Food Listserve to stay up to date on developments related to local food and farming. Listserve member information remains confidential, and listserve communications are restricted to the business of ag.