WSU Business, Policies and Procedures Manual: Pesticide Policy
- Overview (BPPM 45.65)
- Approval to Make Pesticide Recommendations (BPPM 45.67)
- Use of Registered Pesticides (BPPM 45.69)
- Experimental Use of Pesticides (BPPM 45.70)
New Hire Checklist
Pesticide Policy Training Modules
- Module 1: Overview.1 This 2016 training module has various media including two videos, two podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. The module takes approximately 10 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working with or recommending pesticides.
- Module 2: Organic Systems.1 This 2016 training module has various media including three videos, three podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. It takes approximately 15 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working in organic systems.
- Module 3: Experimental Use Pesticides.1 This 2016 training module has various media including three videos, three podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. It takes approximately 15 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working with experimental pesticides or experimental uses of registered pesticides.
- Master Gardener Volunteer Training. This 2013 webinar runs approximately 25 minutes and should be viewed by all MG volunteers.
Worker Protection Standard (WPS) Training
- Continue to train to the requirements in the 2015 rule (annual worker and handler training, recordkeeping); the 2018 training requirement is delayed. Growers/foresters can keep using the same “approved” training materials from 2016.
- WSDA Compliance will only be enforcing the original 1994 rule.
An EPA-approved online course to help employers of agricultural pesticides train workers to meet the new training requirements of the 2015 revised federal Worker Protection Standard is available. This free course, available at: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/workerprotection/, provides information required to train those who will train workers under WPS. It will guide trainers through the necessary procedures to provide workers with required information on how to avoid exposure to pesticides and pesticide residue. This course is offered in five units and will require approximately 1 – 2 hours to complete. Convenient, user-friendly units can be completed at a time that fits the employer’s schedule. Upon successful completion of the final exam, employers will be qualified as WPS worker trainers by the EPA.
An EPA-approved manual for trainers can be downloaded at http://pesticideresources.org/wps/ttt/manual/
EPA-approved PowerPoint presentations for annual WPS worker or handler training can be downloaded at http://pesticideresources.org/wps/inventory.html. (Look for EPA Worker PST 00017 or EPA Handler PST 00018 in the EPA Approved? column of the Training Resources Table to view the appropriate presentation.)
The Pesticide Educational Resources Collaborative (PERC) has published the WPS Respiratory Protection Guide: Requirements for Employers of Pesticide Handlers (PDF). PERC is a new cooperative agreement between the EPA’s Office of Pesticide Programs and University of California Davis Extension, in collaboration with Oregon State University. This guide meets the requirements of the revised 2015 Worker Protection Standard.
These PERC videos satisfy the pesticide safety training requirement for workers under the revised WPS.
• Training video in English (https://www.youtu.be/alaSkV-jHAU)
• Training video in Spanish (https://www.youtu.be/DgmS_Z3XFIs)